6.20.2010

Shrimp & Grits

Another recipe courtesy of the back of a 2004 seasonal wine list for Cakebread Cellars in Napa Valley! Shrimp and grits is one of those dishes that I've seen at several restaurants and have always thought I might like it. I told my brother I was going to make it and he had some very funny and choice comments about the dish and its origins. So after a little research, I discovered not only is this a Southern thing, its really a breakfast dish. This would not work for me for breakfast. For dinner yes!

(Note: I halved the recipe because I wasn't confident in making this for anyone other than me!)

Ingredients:
For the grits:
chicken stock (2 cup)
grits ( 1/2 cup)
milk (1/4 cup)
cheddar cheese (1/2 cup, grated)
salt and pepper

Bring to a boil, 2 cups of chicken stock in a pot and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the grits and cook for 20 minutes on low heat. Stir often. Add the milk and cheese and stir until mixed. Season to taste with a little more salt and pepper and set aside.



For the shrimp:
shrimp (2 lbs, peeled and devined)
onion (1, diced small)
green bell pepper (1, diced small)
celery stalk (1, diced small)
minced garlic (1 tbsp)
olive oil (2 tbsp)
all purpose flour (2 tbsp)
crushed tomatoes (1 can)
chicken broth (1/2 cup)
Tabasco sauce (1 tsp)
salt and pepper

Add the olive oil to a large pan. Add the onions, pepper, celery and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes to soften the veggies, then turn the heat down to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir into the veggies, cook for a minute and add the diced tomatoes and chicken broth.



Cook for 5 minutes, add the Tabasco, salt and pepper. Stir the shrimp into the gravy and cook until the shrimp turn pink.



Place a 1/2 cup of the reserved grits in a bowl, top with shrimp and gravy.


I don't know if this is what shrimp and grits is really like, but even if it isn't, it was still pretty good. I'd even make it again for someone else!

1 comment:

  1. Duuude...I think I may really try this one!

    ReplyDelete